Do you have curly hair? Do you find yourself “dealing with it” rather than loving it? Oh, my curly-locks ladies, you are so blessed! As our friends as Loreal Paris say, “when we wear our hair curly, we embrace one of our most beautiful attributes.”
Granted, curls can be a little challenging because they do require special care daily. But remember, when we take care of our hair, we nurture our most important accessory. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you accentuate your crowning glory!
- Don’t use a terrycloth towel and “rub” your hair dry. Try a microfiber towel after showering to remove excess water from the hair and let your curls dry naturally, less frizzy.
- Use the right products. I know, I say this a lot – but at Salon Lola, we invest in the best products available to ensure the most beautiful return. The best solution to moisturized and defined curls starts in the shower. Select a shampoo and conditioner tailored to curly hair. We offer salon grade products that nourish and enrich the hair: R+Co and Kevin Murphy and for color, we only use the finest: Goldwell and Loreal Proffesionnel.
- Instead of trying to “tame the mane” with a round brush and blow dryer, add a diffuser and ditch the brush! A brush will only cause breakage. Blow dryers can expose hair to intense direct heat which causes curls to frizz and lose their natural bend. Why work against the grain when you can add a diffuser so that heat is distributed more evenly, helping to prevent frizz and instead enhance your unique curl pattern? Hot tools are ok, but first…PRODUCT! Apply a product that protects your hair from the heat. Oil serum and heat protectant is a must!
- If you feel your hair needs a little extra conditioning, a weekly or monthly conditioning mask will replenish and super-hydrate the hair. The trick is not to weigh down the hair, but to restore the hair with natural moisture, making it light and bouncy – easier to manage. Remember: you don’t have to wash and condition daily. Your hair’s natural oils work in favor of curly hair. Let it go a day or two. Massage your scalp at the roots of your hair, pull it back in a sassy pony or messy bun and you’re set for a day at the farmer’s market. Short hair? Let your curls fall where they may.
- Beauty sleep + the right pillowcase – I know, it sounds silly but remember, your hair is alive at the follicle. It requires care and attention as you would do a manicure on nails, indulge in a scrumptious sugar scrub loofah or enjoy a luscious facial! We all know the importance of getting our beauty rest. What is that anyway? When it comes to your beauty routine, sleep may be the closest thing there is to looking and feeling young at any age! Your body repairs itself and recovers while you snooze, and that leads to a long list of benefits for your looks. Did you know that the pillow you rest your head upon is just as important? Chances are your hair spends more time against your pillow than it does anywhere else. Cotton pillowcases can create friction between your hair and the pillow, resulting in frizz and breakage. A smooth, satin pillowcase helps you avoid the issue – and makes your hair easier to manage.
If you have curly hair and are struggling to achieve the look you desire, I invite you to make an appointment – even if you’re not ready for a cut. Just a wash and style – I’ll teach you how to care for your lovely curls and will recommend products that will give your curls life and movement that smell heavenly too!
I look forward to welcoming you to my chair!